Version: 1.0.1 – Latest Update: Nov 2nd, 2016
This documentation will guide you through the installation process and illustrate how to use/customize this theme.
If you are new to WordPress the official WordPress Codex, WordPress Forums are a good place to start. Often a quick Google search is all it takes to find an answer to your question. For any theme related question beyond the scope of this documentation don’t hesitate and head over to the support center.
Make sure you have the latest version of WordPress up and running before you proceed and install the theme: http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress
Even if you are already familiar with WordPress, and feel like skipping the entire theme documentation, please make sure to follow at least the best practices listed below to prevent/solve the most common theme issues.
- Permalinks SettingsGo to Settings > Permalinks, select “post name” and click “Save Changes”.
- Assign Front Page And Blog PostsGo to Settings > Reading > Front page displays, select “A static page” and choose your pages.
- Assign Menu LocationGo to Appearance > Menus, scroll down to “Menu Settings and select “Primary Menu” under “Theme locations”.
- Vehicle ImagesMinimum dimension for any vehicle image is 750×470 pixel. Recommended width is 1600 pixel and max. size of 200 KB.
- Don’t Edit Theme Code DirectlyDo not edit any of the theme core files directly, as all your changes will be lost when updating the theme. Use a child theme for all your code changes.
- Familiarize Yourself With SiteOrigin Panels & Widgets PluginThis theme has deep integration with the SiteOrigin Panels & Widgets Bundle plugin. Please take a few minutes to get to know those plugins.
- Vehicle ShortcodesAll shortcodes are located under the “Carmen Shortcodes” icon in the menu bar of the visual text editor.
- “My Account” menu item doesn’t showMake sure you have set a “My Account page” under Theme Options > Pages. This page is a good place to add the “Edit User Profile” shortcode.
- “Show comparison” notification doesn’t appearMake sure you have set a “Vehicle Comparison Page” under Theme Options > Pages. This page should contain the “Compare Vehicles” shortcode.
- “Show saved vehicles” notification doesn’t appearMake sure you have set a “Saved Vehicles Page” under Theme Options > Pages. This page should contain the “Saved Vehicles” shortcode.
- How To Add Sidebars To PagesCreate a two-column layout with SiteOrigin and add each individual widget in there.
- How To Easily Duplicate VehiclesWe use and recommend the free Duplicate Post plugin.
Installation via WordPress
- Download theme from Downloads section on ThemeForest. Choose “Installable WordPress file only”. If you download “All files and documentation” please unzip your download . File we need to upload is carmen.zip
- Login to your WordPress admin area
- Go to Appearance > Themes
- Click Add New
- Click Upload Theme
- Upload carmen.zip
- Install and activate the theme
Installation via FTP
- Unzip carmen.zip file. This should extract a folder named “carmen”
- Login to your server using the FTP client of your choice, such as FileZilla
- Upload the extracted carmen folder to /wp-content/themes/
- Login to WordPress admin area and activate theme under Appearance > Themes
Required and recommended plugins
After theme activation, you receive notification to install and activate certain required/recommended plugins. If not, you can do so under Appearance > Install Plugins.
For the theme to properly function you have to install all required plugins:
- Page Builder by SiteOrigin
- Redux Framework
- SiteOrigin Widgets Bundle
- Carmen Core
- WP Car Manager
- DK PDF
Envato Market plugin is recommended, as it allows you to update the theme right from your admin area.
Widget Importer & Exporter is another recommended plugin, which let’s you import existing widgets from the theme demo.
Note: Once the WP Car Mananger plugin is activated, you will see a notification in your admin area: “WP Car Manager is almost ready for use, click here to setup the final settings.”
If you plan to import the demo content you can ignore and close this notification. It only suggests to create three default pages., which are part of the theme demo content anyway.
Page Builder by SiteOrigin
All site elements of this theme are build with the most popular free Page Builder by SiteOrigin. Create any page layout you want with simple via drag+drop. No coding skills required.
The page builder works with widgets, and we created a lot of custom widgets for you, some car dealership specific, many generic, that you are free to use as you see fit. Make sure you also install and activate the SiteOrigin Widgets Bundle
and ThemeTrail Core plugin as described in the previous chapter “Plugin Installation”.
By default only a few widgets are active. For the theme to properly display all the demo content it is mandatory to go to Plugins > SiteOrigin Widgets and activate all of the following plugins:
- Carmen – Accordion
- Carmen – Button
- Carmen – Carousel
- Carmen – Contact Form
- Carmen – Countdown
- Carmen – Counter
- Carmen – Financing Calculator
- Carmen – Hero Section
- Carmen – Icon Box
- Carmen – Newsletter
- Carmen – Opening Hours
- Carmen – Pie Chart
- Carmen – Progress Bar
- Carmen – Slider
- Carmen – Tabs
- Carmen – Team Members
- Google Maps
- Image Slider
- Post Carousel
- Social Media Buttons
If you can not find the “SiteOrigin Widgets” menu item under “Plugins”, please go to Plugins > Add New and search for “SiteOrigin Widgets Bundle”, then install ans activate this plugin. The menu item should now appear.
We highly recommend to import the demo content, rather than creating everything from scratch. This is not only the fastest approach, it also helps you to really understand how the theme works in great detail and how all its parts play together.
Important: Make sure you have installed and activated all required plugins BEFORE you proceed to import anything.
How to import demo content
- Go to Tools > Import
- Click WordPress
- If prompted via popup, click Install Now to install the WordPress Importer plugin. Once installation is done, click Activate Plugin & Run Importer.
- To upload the demo content, browse and select the demo XML file called “carmen-demo-content.xml” which is located in your unzipped ThemeForest download. Make sure you have downloaded “All files and documentation”.
- Click Upload File and Import
- Choose how you want to assign the imported posts. We recommend to assign them to an existing user.
- Make sure to check “Download and import file attachments” to import placeholder images. You can later delete and replace them with your own images.
- Click Submit to start the import.
- Once import is finished go to Settings > Reading and select “A static page” under “Front page displays”. For the front page select “Home” and for your posts page select “News”. Click Save Changes.
- To assign the primary menu go to Appearance > Menus. Scroll down to “Theme locations” and set the “Primary Menu”checkbox. Click Save Menu.
- Go to Settings > Permalinks, select “Post name ” and click “Save Changes”.
Footer widgets can be set under Appearance > Widgets. In the theme demo we use the following widget setup for the footer:
- Footer Top
- “Text” widget
- Footer 1
- “Text” widget
- “SiteOrigin Social Media Buttons” widget
- Footer 2
- “ThemeTrail – Opening Hours” widget
- Footer 3
- “Carmen – Newsletter” widget
- Footer Bottom
- “Text” widget
How to import demo widgets
To import the demo widgets install and activate the recommended plugin Widget Importer & Exporter. Then go to Tools > Widget Importer & Exporter and import the carmen-demo-widgets.wie.
This file is located in your unzipped ThemeForest download. Make sure you have downloaded “All files and documentation”. Also make sure you have activated all mandatory widgets as mentioned under Page Builder by SiteOrigin.
How to insert Google Analytics tracking code
- Copy your Google Analytics tracking code
- Go to Appearance > Theme Options > General
- Scroll down and paste your tracking code into the Custom Scripts text area.
- Click Save Changes
The official Envato market plugin, which is bundled with this theme, allows you to install and update your purchased themes/plugins right from your WordPress admin area.
First make sure you have installed and activated the Envato Market plugin. If you haven’t already done so, go to Appearance > Install Plugins to install and activate the Envato Market plugin.
Once plugin is active, go to “Envato Market” in your WP admin area, scroll down, and click the link that says “generate a personal token” or use the link below to create your token (see screenshot on the right).
Copy+paste the generated token in the text input field of your Envato Market admin page. That’s it. Once a theme update is available you will see an update notification in your admin area and update the theme under Appearance > Themes.
Once theme update is available you will see a notification in your WordPress admin area. You can then update the theme under Appearance > Themes.
This process is identical to installing the theme. Make sure to delete the old version of the theme first.
To manually update the theme from within WordPress go to Appearance > Themes, activate another theme, delete Carmen theme, then upload the new version of “carmen.zip” via WordPress, and activate it.
To manually update via FTP go to “/wp-content/themes/” and delete the “carmen” folder. Download the latest version of the Carmen theme from ThemeForest, unzip “carmen.zip” and upload the generated “carmen” folder to “/wp-content/themes/”.
Using a child theme
To make changes to the theme source code you have to install, activate and edit the child theme. NEVER edit the parent theme source code itself, as all changes are gone when updating the theme.
The theme comes with a basic child theme. It is named carmen-child.zip and located in “All files and documentation” download from ThemeForest.
Install and activate it, like any other theme. You can copy+paste the parent theme files you wish to edit to the child theme and make your desired changes via FTP, or edit a file directly under Appearance > Editor.
To translate the theme into another language we recommend the free plugin Loco Translate. To setup a multi-lingual website WPML (paid plugin) is your best choice.
How To Use Loco Translate
Go to Plugins > Add New and search for “Loco Translate”, then click “Install” and once its done, click “Activate”. The new menu item “Loco Translate” appears on the left-hand side of your WordPress admin menu.
Before you continue reading make sure to study and follow the instructions of the beginner’s guide on Loco Translate. It’s essential to have a writeable by the server folder under “wp-content/languages/loco/themes/”.
Next go to “Loco Translate > Themes” and click “Carmen”. On the next screen click “New language” and select the language you would like to create a translation for. Under “Choose a location” we highly recommend to select “Custom” as its the safest translation location (see screenshot).
You can now start translating the theme. The site languages can be switched within WordPress under Settings > General > Site Language.
Fix widget accordion toggle issue