Version: 1.0.2 – Latest Update: Jul 25, 2016
This documentation will guide you through the installation process and illustrate how to use/customize this theme.
If you are new to WordPress the official WordPress Codex, WordPress Forums are a good place to start. Often a quick Google search is all it takes to find an answer to your question. For any theme related question beyond the scope of this documentation don’t hesitate and head over to the support center.
Make sure you have the latest version of WordPress up and running before you proceed and install the theme: http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress
Installation via WordPress
- Download theme from Downloads section on ThemeForest. Choose “Installable WordPress file only”. If you download “All files and documentation” please unzip your download . File we need to upload is mechanic.zip
- Login to your WordPress admin area
- Go to Appearance > Themes
- Click Add New
- Click Upload Theme
- Upload mechanic.zip
- Install and activate the theme
Installation via FTP
- Unzip mechanic.zip file. This should extract a folder named “mechanic”
- Login to your server using the FTP client of your choice, such as FileZilla
- Upload the extracted mechanic folder to /wp-content/themes/
- Login to WordPress admin area and activate theme under Appearance > Themes
Required and recommended plugins
After theme activation, you receive notification to install and activate certain required/recommended plugins. If not, you can do so under Appearance > Install Plugins.
For the theme to properly function you have to install all required plugins:
- Mechanic – Custom Post Types
- Mechanic – Shortcodes
- Mechanic – Widgets
- Redux Framework
- WPBakery Visual Composer
Envato Market plugin is recommended, as it allows you to update the theme right from your admin area.
Visual Composer is bundled with this theme. It allows you to create sophisticated and unique page layouts via drag+drop. No coding skills required.
If you have any questions about Visual Composer, please head over to the official plugin documentation:
How to enable Visual Composer for other post types
By default, Visual Composer is enabled for pages only. To add Visual Composer to the Services post type:
- Go to Visual Composer > General Settings > Role Manager
- Click “Post types” dropdown and select “Custom”
- Check “service”
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click “Save Changes”
Specifics of the Mechanic theme & Visual Composer
The theme’s custom shortcodes have been tightly knit into Visual Composer. There are some instances that you should be aware of when using Visual Composer with this theme:
- Add class “background-image-stretch-row” under Edit this column > Extra class name to stretch the background image to full row height.
How to activate Visual Composer license
Whenever we release a theme update we make sure to include the latest version of Visual Composer.
To update the plugin on your own you have to purchase a valid license key individually for $34 over at:
We highly recommend to import the demo content, rather than creating everything from scratch. This is not only the fastest approach, it also helps you to really understand how the theme works in great detail and how all its parts play together.
Important: Make sure you have installed and activated all required plugins BEFORE you proceed to import anything.
How to import demo content
- Go to Tools > Import
- Click WordPress
- If prompted via popup, click Install Now to install the WordPress Importer plugin. Once installation is done, click Activate Plugin & Run Importer.
- To upload the demo content, browse and select the demo XML file called “mechanic-demo-content.xml” which is located in your unzipped ThemeForest download. Make sure you have downloaded “All files and documentation”.
- Click Upload File and Import
- Choose how you want to assign the imported posts. We recommend to assign them to an existing user.
- Make sure to check “Download and import file attachments” to import placeholder images. You can later delete and replace them with your own images.
- Click Submit to start the import.
- Once import is finished go to Settings > Reading and select “A static page” under “Front page displays”. For the front page select “Home” and for your posts page select “Blog”. Click Save Changes. That’s it.
How to insert Google Analytics tracking code
- Copy your Google Analytics tracking code
- Go to Appearance > Theme Options > General
- Scroll down and paste your tracking code into the Custom Scripts text area.
- Click Save Changes
The official Envato market plugin, which is bundled with this theme, allows you to install and update your purchased themes/plugins right from your WordPress admin area.
First make sure you have installed and activated the Envato Market plugin. If you haven’t already done so, go to Appearance > Install Plugins to install and activate the Envato Market plugin.
Once plugin is active, go to “Envato Market” in your WP admin area, scroll down, and click the link that says “generate a personal token” or use the link below to create your token (see screenshot on the right).
Copy+paste the generated token in the text input field of your Envato Market admin page. That’s it. Once a theme update is available you will see an update notification in your admin area and update the theme under Appearance > Themes.
Once theme update is available you will see a notification in your WordPress admin area. You can then update the theme under Appearance > Themes.
This process is identical to installing the theme. Make sure to delete the old version of the theme first.
To manually update the theme from within WordPress go to Appearance > Themes, activate another theme, delete Mechanic theme, then upload the new version of “mechanic.zip” via WordPress, and activate it.
To manually update via FTP go to “/wp-content/themes/” and delete the “mechanic” folder. Download the latest version of the Mechanic theme from ThemeForest, unzip “mechanic.zip” and upload the generated “mechanic” folder to “/wp-content/themes/”.
Using a child theme
To make changes to the theme source code you have to install, activate and edit the child theme. NEVER edit the parent theme source code itself, as all changes are gone when updating the theme.
The theme comes with a basic child theme. It is named mechanic-child.zip and located in “All files and documentation” download from ThemeForest.
Install and activate it, like any other theme. You can copy+paste the parent theme files you wish to edit to the child theme and make your desired changes via FTP, or edit a file directly under Appearance > Editor.
- NEW Theme Option "Google Maps API Key"
- NEW Theme Option "service" slug
- FIXED Child theme folder naming issue
- IMPROVED Shortcode "Slider" graceful fadein on page load
- IMPROVED Primary Menu sub menu arrows
- NEW Theme Option "Google Maps" custom styles
- NEW Shortcode "Testimonial" new parameter "color", "background-color"
- NEW Demo page "Home 2", "Contact 2", "About Us"